Take a Tour of STAR Center:
STAR (Sensory Therapies And Research) Center is the premier treatment and research center for children and families impacted by sensory processing and feeding disorders, ADHD, autism and other developmental disorders. STAR Center participates in research and seeks the discovery of science-grounded answers that will change the lives of children and adults with Sensory Processing Disorder and disorders such as ADHD and autistic spectrum disorders, when they include a sensory component. Our research goals are to:
- define characteristics that are unique to children with Sensory Processing Disorder
- To show that SPD is a true valid disorder, different from existing disorders
- To study the effectiveness of treatment.
STAR Center offers comprehensive sensory-based services for clients and their families living with Sensory Processing Disorder (formerly known as “sensory integration dysfunction”), attention deficit disorders (ADD and ADHD), autistic spectrum disorders, anxiety disorders, emotional and behavioral disorders, sensory-based learning disorders, and other developmental issues. Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) acts like a neurological “traffic jam” that prevents certain parts of the brain from receiving the information needed to understand and respond to sensation. People with SPD misinterpret everyday sensory information, such as touch, sound, and movement. They may over-respond and find clothing, physical contact, light, sound, food, or other sensory input unbearable. Or they may under-respond and show little or no reaction, not even to pain or extreme hot and cold. A third option is sensory-motor problems, including weakness, clumsiness, awkwardness or delays in acquiring gross and/or fine motor skills. Our goal for children who come to STAR Center is that they can successfully participate in daily activities, like playing with friends and family members, enjoying school, and completing daily routines. Our goal for adults is to help them understand how their sensory issues impact their quality of life and provide services that can assist them in living more fulfilled lives. What makes the nonprofit STAR Center unique?
- Facility specifically designed for individuals with sensory challenges
- Intensive “burst” treatment that research has shown to be effective in treating sensory issues
- Parent-focused education to reframe issues and move treatment ideas into the natural home setting
- State-of-the-art diagnostic assessments
- New STAR Treatment Model that emphasizes Relationship and Engagement as well as Arousal Regulation as the foundation of change
- Combination of best practice interventions (see below).
- Collaboration with the nonprofit Sensory Processing Disorder Foundation to assist with mentorships and research
- Conveniently located in the Denver Tech Center, with lodging options for out-of-town clients
- Early evening appointments available
At STAR Center, families find the support and treatment they have been searching for. No one knows better than you that each individual has unique needs, and that the entire family is impacted. We provide a customized approach for your child’s specific sensory challenges. As your child improves his or her functioning, you will experience less stress, learn to advocate on your child’s behalf, and achieve a higher quality of life. Hundreds of children, adults and families are thriving after intervention based on the STAR Center treatment model. STAR Center treatment teams consist of expert specialists in the fields of:
- Sensory integration
- Occupational therapy
- DIR/Floortime therapy
- Speech pathology
- SOS Feeding therapy
- Parent Coaching and Education
The STAR treatment model is so effective that advanced therapists travel from all over the world to participate in our clinical mentorships. Developing sensational kids. Building relationships. Nurturing families. Contact us today.